Wednesday, May 1, 2013

How to go to the movies by yourself

If I waited on having someone to do something with every time I wanted to do something, I'd be sitting at home alone. A lot. Let's be honest, I'm the last man woman standing when it comes to most of my really close friends being married. Which is fine... sometimes.


A few weeks ago I wanted to go to the movies. So I went.

By. My. Self.

Do you know how nerve racking that is?! Now if you are reading this and thinking, "I go by myself all the time. What's the big deal?" KUDOS TO YOU. You can stop reading now. This post is for those of you out there who think to yourself, "It takes a lot of confidence to go to the movies by yourself and I wish I could do that."

SIDE NOTE: I think it requires even MORE confidence to go to eat by yourself. Maybe I'll get there one day. (I'm not talking about somewhere like Panera Bread or Subway... I'm talking about Applebees or O'Charley's!)

Back to the topic at hand...

When I decided to go to the movies by myself, I actually googled, "How to go to the movies by yourself" and didn't find anything very helpful. So here it goes...

Kimberly's Guide to Going to the Movies By Yourself....


1. Pick a movie and time.
I suggest picking a movie that has been out for a while, but not too long. This is because it won't be as crowded in the theater but you want to see it before they move it to the smaller theater. You don't want to go to a sold out show. Don't pick a great date movie at 7:00. Because guess what, you're going to be there surrounded by a bunch of couples. No thank you. Choose a matinee. You're usually safe with a matinee because it's middle aged or older people.


2. Dress appropriately.
Do your hair. Do your makeup. Don't go in sweats. You don't want people thinking you're a loner AND a slob. I tend to go on rainy days. Wear shoes with traction so when you walk in, you don't bust your ass on the wet floor. I can't even imagine how embarrassing that would be.

3. Take your purse with you.
I occasionally take my wallet with me. NO. Don't do this. Take your purse. You want to put it in the seat next to you so it looks like you're saving a seat for someone.

4. Purchasing the ticket.
When purchasing your ticket, no one knows if you are there by yourself or if you are meeting your friends in the theater. So don't worry. Get yourself a snack if you want one. Use the restroom (this is important so you don't have to go to the bathroom during the movie and bring attention to yourself.)

5. Picking a seat.
I personally like to sit in the middle of the theater. However, when by myself, I walk in and go straight for the back row. You can even stop when you walk in, look towards the back, then nod and smile and walk up there like you saw someone you know. People won't care enough to turn around and see who you're sitting with.

6. Enjoy the movie.
Sit back and relax! No one cares you're by yourself. They really don't.

7. Exit.
When the movie is done, get up and walk out. Duh.


Congrats! You've just learned how to go to the movies completely by yourself.


Now if only I can bring myself to eat out by myself, I've got myself a regular old date night without having to worry about the awkward small talk and the awkward "is he going to kiss me at the end of this?" question in the back of your mind.



What are some of your tips and tricks for going to the movies by yourself?

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny girl!! I have yet to be able to go to the movies alone. I've thought about it many time - just could not do it. Nice job! :)

    ReplyDelete