Friday, May 10, 2013

Call me old, but yes, I started a Book Club

Oprah Winfrey would be so proud.

About a year ago, my friend Amanda said that she wanted to join a book club. We looked online for ones around here through the library but came up empty handed. So the idea died... for a little while.

Fast forward to about a month ago, and I decided to start my own. I asked a few friends if they wanted to join and we all agreed. No, we are not middle aged, retired, purple hat wearing women, but we are ones that like to chit chat, drink wine, and read. A book club seemed like the perfect combination of all three.

The first book we read was called Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.


Let me just tell you... this was seriously one of the best books I've ever read. It is SO FLIPPIN GOOD! I'm not an avid reader and I'm definitely not a fast reader, but seriously, this. was. awesome.

We didn't discuss it too much because not all of us had finished it and we didn't want to give away any spoilers, but we still had a good time and can't wait to do it again in June. How can you not have a good time with a spread like this...

Banana pudding, chocolate peanut butter cookies, chips and homemade salsa, baked spinach and hummus dip with carrots, pita chips, and celery, and wine.
7 bottles of wine for 5 people... Isn't that what a book club is all about?
These chocolate peanut butter cookies were AMAZING. They were only 5 ingredients! 1 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of peanut butter, and an egg. Then dipped in melted chocolate and peanuts.
That's my baked spinach and hummus dip. I took baby spinach and threw it in my food processor, got 2 cups of the chopped spinach and mixed it with a cup and a half of roasted red pepper hummus and about 3/4 cup of cheese. Put that in the dish, sprinkled some cheese on top, and baked it for 25 minutes at 375 degrees. SO GOOD.
My friend also made some salsa that I failed to get a picture of. :( But it consisted of Roma tomatoes, red onion, parsley, cilantro, peanuts, 1 squeezed orange, 1 squeezed lemon or lime, 1 tsp of garlic, salt, sugar, and olive oil. If you're looking for a different kind of salsa then try her's out!

We've already selected the book for next month:



If you're toying with the idea of starting a book club or joining one, I highly suggest it.

Have any suggestions for books or good recipes to try out? Send them my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment